Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mary's Block

I finally completed Mary’s block for my Women of the Bible Quilt. It took me a while to figure out a way to construct it that worked for me. I ended up with a mixture of Machine Paper Piecing and hand piecing, but I’m very pleased with the result.
Bethlehem Star - Mary Mother of Jesus 
As I think about Mary and her service as the Mother of Jesus I thought of my own Mother. Today would have been her 97th birthday. She wasn’t perfect, but which of us is? But she was there for me when I needed her, and I tried to be there when she needed me. She was often my traveling companion. We took several trips to Pennsylvania to visit family, one trip to North Carolina, a trip to Yellowstone and the oddessy of all trips when she was 91 to visit her cousins, sister-in-law and niece scattered from Holland, Michigan to Winter Park, Florida. We also spend 3 wonderful days in St Augustine, Florida. I drove a total of 7500 miles on that trip, ended up with a case of shingles by the time I got home, and truly had a wonderful time. It was also the last time I saw my mother. She died less than 2 years later and due to health reasons I was unable to go back to visit before then.

 I’ve also completed two other blocks for this sampler quilt.

Heart's Desire - Shluammite Woman
From Song of Solomon
Grandmother's Own - Athaliah & Jesosheba














 The basement project is coming along well. I did the last of the painting for the shelves today and maybe we will get the wallboard up so hubby can set his worktable up and clear his things off my sewing table. We have a couple of tables to construct of me - a moveable work table and a large cutting table. There is still a lot of work, and I have no idea what we are going to do for the floors. Anyone has any great ideas - please let me know!!! LOL

August’s book list is completed:

Steak & Eggs by Laura Childs
Pirate King by Laurie R. King
Black Wind by Clive Cussler
Death Climbs a Tree by Sara Hoskinson Frommer
Burn by Nevada Barr

All the authors are old favorites - I think the two I enjoyed most this time were Pirate King by Laurie R King - what a fun adventure for Mary and Holmes - not what I normally expect from a Mary Russell book but good never the less. I also liked? Enjoyed? Shivered with fear? Anyway - Burn by Nevada Barr. Anna Pigeon is on leave from the NPS in New Orleans when everything that can go wrong in Cajun Country does go wrong. Very Very good book.

No comments: