Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Corned Beef Casserole

 Since my husband is very Irish ( Red Hair and temper to match) I made Corned Beef for Saint Patrick's Day.  He hates Cabbage - and to be honest I'm not fond of it beyond coleslaw  so I put it in the crock pot added new potatoes and carrots - seasoned it with herbs and it was wonderful.  Since there are only the two of us there was plenty left over.  Since I can't have anything with MSG or High Fructose Corn syrup or artificial ingredients there are a lot of recipes out there that I can't use to make a casserole - SOO  It was up to me to come up with a MF (Maiden Fair) approved recipe which I will share with you.


Corned Beef Casserole

2 cups chopped cooked Corned Beef
2 cups dry macaroni - I used elbow, but any other type would work.
3 TBS flour
1 cup water
1-2 tsp broth base - I use Orrington Farms Chicken Broth Base
1 cup Milk - I use Lactaid Milk Products as I can't have regular milk  but you can use any form of milk
1 can cut green beans or equivalent of fresh cooked green beans - or any other vegie you choose
1/2 - 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese - I use Sharp as it has little if any Lactose

Add the macaroni to boiling water and cook for 8 - 10 minutes - drain and rinse in hot water.

Meanwhile add flour to a  small amount of milk and mix to a smooth paste.  Gradually add remaining milk and water with broth.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat - stirring constantly.  When thickened add the cheese and stir until melted.  Remove from heat.  

Drain the green beans and add to the sauce.  Add the macaroni and mix until all is coated.  

Pour into a 2 qt casserole dish or a 9-in square baking pan.  You can use any topping of your choice - potato chips crushed, buttered bread crumbs, crotons - entirely up to you.

Place in a preheated 350 degree F  Oven and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.  

I like to serve with fresh dinner rolls or fresh muffins.


No comments: