Friday, July 31, 2015

End of July

Have you ever had a sudden realization that time is passing and you have been standing still and not doing what you planned to do?  I had one of those realizations today.  It is the last day of July, the summer is 2/3 over and I have not been out to spend any time in the fresh air and sunshine.  Yes we've had a lot of rain this summer and yes we've had several days with heat warnings and many others with the humidity so bad you can barely breathe which sends me into coughing fits.  But there have been many days like today that was warm, not too humid and not raining or even thinking about raining.  So what have I been doing you ask?  I've been staying home - chair potato-ing  and not doing much.  We took a trip to the Grand Canyon, Arches and Canyonlands in May - but since then - nothing much.

So today I decided to do something about it.  I took my granddaughter and we went stamping - also known as Letterboxing.  I looked up a whole list of boxes we haven't found and we took of for a day of fun in the sun.  We found 5 out of 6 boxes - one was missing - and had a great time.  If we get another nice day before she has to go home, we will go again - we still have a stack of them to find.

Today is the day when another block of my Loyal Union Sampler BOW (Block of the Week) is due.  I've been working on this quilt - a block a week - for nearly 2 years.  It will probably never get put together and quilted - but then again maybe it will.


This is the block titled Nevada.  It has a lot of Y seams but I've learned that practice really does make perfect.  I'm not saying I'm perfect at them - but I'm sure a lot better than I was 2 years ago when I would find any way possible around doing Y seams.

I didn't get a lot of reading done in July - just two books which when you think about it, isn't very much reading for me.  I did acquire a tablet with a Kindle App, so I have a ton of books to read there, plus a lot of  real paper and ink books to read.  I will get around to it all eventually.

The two books I read this month are:
The Shell Game by Janet Evanovich
Murder is a Family Business by Heather Haven

Heather Haven is a new author to me - this is the first book in a series about a family owned Detective Agency.  It was interesting enough for me to read the next one in the series.

No comments: